Having a lush green lawn is not for everyone. Are there areas on your property that you can’t get to easily with a lawnmower or even a weed whacker? Do you want to enhance your lawn without installing a full garden? The best solution to all of this is a fast-growing ground cover. It’s the best of both worlds without your home standing out for all the wrong reasons.
What is ground cover?
This is an eco-friendly solution to replace those sparse areas of your lawn. It’s a low growing perennial, meaning it will continue to grow year after year with the proper maintenance.
Some of the benefits are:
- It’s a great alternative to grass
- It’s low maintenance
- I will prevent soil erosion
- It gives more areas for butterflies, insects, and birds to find food
- It helps absorb the heat reducing the ambient temperature
What type of ground cover should you use?
Just with any other plant, you have to take into account the area you’ll be installing it. This will include the placement, how the lighting is, can the soil type, etc. Thankfully, there are ground covers that thrive in both direct sunlight and shade.
Some extra tips for your ground covers:
- Make sure you have a sufficient water supply. This could be a sprinkler system or watering it on your own with a hose.
- Research and read up on which ground covering would be best for your home. It needs to be suitable for the type of soil you have and the location you want to plant it.
- Prune as needed. Like all plants, some leaves and flowers will die off. Remove these to help the plant focus on new growth as well as keeping your ground cover looking its best.